Before I begin this post, I need to apologise to you, intrepid readers. I am supposed to write on this blog every day. Yesterday I did not. It was extremely busy, and exhausting, and I couldn't think coherently let alone write in a sensible manner.
So, to make up for it there will be two posts for today - One this morning and another this afternoon/eve. Hopefully you can forgive me...
Imur Prior Beta: Supposedly developed in Norway, they produce almost heart-shaped fruit with slightly tough skin. Very nice flavour. Very indeterminate.
Brandywine: Quite possibly my favourite. Large, indeterminate bushes that produce huge pink fruit with an awesome flavour and very low acid. They prefer a hot summer though, so they are best suited to warmer climes.
Sunray: I couldn't find the British Sungold tomato seeds anywhere in Australia (they are reported to be one of the best small tomatoes out). So this year's test crop is Sunray - which as far as I can tell are the same. I'll know when the fruit ripen.
On Thursday evening I made two lots of tomato sauce - the first was purely made from Principe Borghese plums and used the oven roasting recipe that I have put up on here before and the second was a simple pot-cooked variety. After cooking (and reducing for the pot-cooked one) they were both passed through a strainer, and the sauce was put into freezer bags and stored in the freezer for use in the winter. The result from them? Oven cooked - a lighter (almost orange) colour even though I used red tomatoes. Sweet, almost smoky flavour. Pot-cooked - Kept the red colour, and more acidity. Both are really nice, and comparable to passata. All in all - it is good!
So until this afternoon, keep on digging.
No comments:
Post a Comment