Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Agnes in Pace

There is one quote about gardening that has stuck in my mind since the first time I heard it - "Teach a child to create and they will never destroy". Now this quote comes from Peter Cundall, the venerable host of Gardening Australia after his arrest at a peaceful protest against the Tamar Valley Pulp Mill in 2009 (which was the first time the 82 year old had been arrested). The story of that can be read Here.

It's true - if you show a child how to grow things (thus 'creating') they will not destroy. They also understand where food comes from (instead of simply 'from the supermarket'), and what is involved. I believe that we are too far removed from where our food comes from to care any more. Which is sad, because growing and eating your own fruit and vegetables is one of the best things to do - plus they taste better (but I always say that).


So to leave you today, I have got some more pictures of the garden in it's current state (it also allows me to work out how to put pictures up on here nicely at the same time). The picture above is one of the zucchini/squash patch - there are about 12 plant of zucchinis, and 6 each of both types of squash. to the left of them lies the Golden Nugget plants.

The picture below is of my latest triumph in the garden - a watermelon! Usually the weather is not warm for long enough for watermelons to ripen. But here we are in the start of February (with around 6/7 weeks until the first frost) and with a watermelon that is almost ripe. The variety - Sugar Baby (from Yates I believe).


Until Tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment